CanOps is committed to advancing public safety for all Canadians. We offer a wide range of career opportunities from Emergency Telecommunications to Administrative Support. As an employee of CanOps, you have the opportunity to directly impact lives each day.
If you wish to join the CanOps mission of integrating and advancing public safety in Canada, then we want to meet you!
We continually strive to make CanOps a great place to work for all our employees. As such, we offer:
- Vacation Leave Enhancement
- Earned Days Off
- Two (2) additional Designated Holidays per year above and beyond the ten (10) Statutory Holidays in a year
- Bereavement Leave
- Family Leave Days
- Maternity, Parental, and Adoption Leave Salary Top-Up
- Flexible Schedules
- Work from Home Options
Learning and Development
- Educational Assistance
- Paid Training and Development Opportunities
- Professional Fees Reimbursement
- Sick Leave Benefits
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Lifestyle Spending Account
- Extended Health, Dental and Vision Plan
- Short-term and Long-term Disability Plans
- Group Life Insurance Plan
- Travel Medical Coverage
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Best Doctor
- Your Nurse
Our Guiding Values and Supporting Principles
Respect in All We Do
- For Canadians
- For public safety professionals
- For jurisdictional authorities
Focus on Value
- Optimal impact on public safety outcomes for Canada
- Focus on solutions
- Harness the passion of innovators
- Seize on selective high value opportunities
- Economically sustainable
- Integration with other system elements
Integral to PS Community
- Leadership “by” and “for” the public safety system
- Mobilizing expertise
- Engage, empower, and enable
- Committed not-for-profit model
- Investing in future solutions, capacity, knowledge
Here is a list of available positions at CanOps:
Technical Services Manager Position
Who we are
Canadian Public Safety Operations Organization (CanOps) is a not-for-profit organization focused on advancing public safety for all Canadians from coast to coast to coast. We provide a consistent framework of operational support and governance to progress and deliver viable and effective public safety education, products, programs, and services while addressing and filling gaps identified by communities, First Nations, first response agencies, and governments of all levels.
What you will do
This out-of-scope position reports to the General Manager and is responsible for all technical services operations and staff supervision within the ECC technical services unit. The Technical Services Manager develops, implements and evaluates sustainable business growth strategies within the Public Safety Technical environment relative to the ECC and in conjunction with other public safety agencies as business relationships demand. The Technical Services Manager develops, implements and evaluates technical service financial strategies and manages the technical service budget. This position liaises with representatives from various public safety agencies and groups regarding public safety technology. The Technical Services Manager ensures that the technical services environment within the ECC is secure by recommending protocols and ensuring sufficient infrastructure. This position is responsible for the development and implementation of the operational plan for technical services.
- The Technical Services Manager is responsible for the day-to-day activities of the Technical Services work unit.
- Participate as an active member of the senior management team and other committees as required.
- Coaching and enabling employees to reach individual goals and targets.
- Participate in training, mentoring and monitoring of technical service staff to ensure that corporate goals and strategies are achieved through the success of individual employees.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within the overall management framework and functions in a team environment.
Operational Planning and Management:
- The Technical Services Manager incorporates principles of quality control and due diligence within the operating parameters of the Emergency Communications Centre, maintaining full compliance with applicable legislation, regulations, memorandums of agreement and contracts relating to the operation of the ECC. This will include but is not limited to: compliance with CPIC policies, Police Service policies and procedures, Occupational Health and Safety, applicable Collective Agreements, employment contracts and PSAP protocols
- Manage change control mechanisms throughout the Technical Services Team and provide reports on activities of the workgroup.
- Assist in the development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of sustainable business growth strategies
- Oversee operational resources and activities on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure the formulation and enforcement of company policies and procedures
- Act as a subject matter expert supporting all managerial and non-managerial personnel in Public Safety Technical Services functions.
- Ensure sufficient day-to-day supervision of all Technical Services Unit personnel and technical operational activities
Human Resources Planning and Management
- The Technical Services Manager will perform activities such as operational planning, staff hiring, staff development, coaching, discipline, and performance reviews as well as develop successful recruitment and training strategies for the replacement and enhancement of information technology staff.
- Identify, develop and implement procedures and protocols, and ongoing professional development strategies to maintain the highest level of efficiency within the technical services personnel.
Financial Planning and Management
- The Technical Services Manager is responsible for resource and project planning, and any other operational activities assigned.
- Develops resource requirement forecasts and acquisition strategies along with implementation and maintenance strategies.
- Prepare, manage and control the budget, provide input on efficiencies and ensure maximization of organizational goals and objectives
- Attend trade shows and attend off-site or out-of-province meetings as required
- Develop and participate in collaborative working relationships with other branches, ministries, and operational entities including vendors
- Technical Services Manager will identify risks and participate in the corporate risk management strategy/processes.
- Identify roadblocks and risks during project planning.
- Work with all business lines to update and maintain their business continuity plan, including the operational and technical linkages.
Problem Solving–Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions. Works well in group problem-solving situations. Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Interpersonal Skills–Focuses on resolving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality and remains professional. Listens with the intent to understand. Remains open to others’ ideas.
Visionary Leadership–Displays passion and optimism. Inspires respect and trust. Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision. Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
Change Management—Develops practical implementation plans. Communicates changes effectively. Builds commitment and overcomes resistance. Prepares and supports those affected by the change. Monitors transition and evaluates results.
Managing People–Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement. Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities. Makes themselves available to staff. Provides regular performance feedback. Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth. Solicits and applies client feedback (internal and external). Fosters quality focus on others. Improves processes, products and services. Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Cost Consciousness–Works within an approved budget. Develops and implements cost-saving measures. Contributes to profits and revenue. Conserves organizational resources.
Strategic Thinking–Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Understands the organization’s strengths & weaknesses. Analyzes market and competition. Identifies external threats and opportunities. Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Innovation–Displays original thinking and creativity. Meets challenges with resourcefulness. Generates suggestions for improving work. Develops innovative approaches and ideas. Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
Communication – Strong oral and written communication. Clear, concise and timely interactions both external and internal. Time and Organization Management – Ability to manage multiple projects and meets all deadlines. Quickly changes focus between projects and day-to-day work as emergencies arise. Require the ability to multitask.
- University degree or College technical diploma with a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated business management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience obtained in another suitable manner.
- Extensive experience with information technology systems within the scope of Public Safety Systems operations.
- Financial management experience is required.
- Must be highly organized, motivated and focused
- Must be able to communicate fluently in English (written and oral)
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.